As defined by Wikipedia, the urbanization of the Information System of the enterprise is a set of constructs based on those of the urbanization of the human environment (organization of cities, land), notions that have been reused in computer modeling to formalize or re-engineering of Information System (IS). The planning rules and a set of coherent, stable and modular, which various stakeholders refer to any investment decision concerning the management of Information System.
Urbanism defines rules and a coherent, stable, modular, in which different stakeholders refer to any investment decision concerning the management Information System.
Principle Information System urbanization
Urbanization has two basic rules:
- An application must belong in -a target- and a single block.
- Dependencies must respect the notion of coherence Strong / weak coupling
- between applications,
- within an application: between the different modules,
- within a module: between the different components.
The term -target- defines the application that is sought to be. It opposes to the existing situation, theAs is. The method to switch from the current as-is to the to-be you want is called the roadmap (or roadmap).
The notion of Consistency High / Low coupling indicates that two applications must communicate with each other in a simple and effective, but that the dependency between these two applications is minimal (ideally none). This allows to remove a block to replace it without disturbing the rest of SI.
The Information System can be compared to a city neighborhood, if it is well built and very urbanized, it is possible to demolish a building in the heart without jeopardizing the entire area and replace or build another building, connecting the new building with different exchange networks: access roads, electricity, sewage, etc.. Urbanization is thus to create an agile, flexible and scalable IS.
The process of urbanization is based on three key areas that feed each other:
- the modeling strategy
- the mapping of existing systems (business, functional, application, technical)
- the determination of target systems (business, functional, application, technical)
The process of urbanization of the IS includes:
- set a target IS, aligned to business strategy,
- determine the path to follow to achieve this target IS.